Pothole claims and stats
An ever evolving problem and one that can cost thousands in claims every year.
Pothole claims and stats
More than £1.9million has been paid out in compensation to claimants that had their vehicles damaged by a pothole. The figures revealed that just 24% of claims for vehicle damage were successful across England, with the average pay out per claim equating to £357.
The Road Surface Treatments Association (RSTA) claim it would cost £9.79billion and take ten years to bring the local road network up to an acceptable condition. In 2020 over £1billion was spent on our roads repairing potholes, there were more than 800,000 identified in the UK, with a depth the equivalent to 15 times the depth of the grand canyon.
- On average there are 13,169 pothole defects reported each year*
- the highest reported was in 2018 where there way 31,156 reported defects*
- There are over 2,300 elderley people injured by trip, slip or falls from damaged footpaths every day**
- A claim is filed every 17 minutes for a pothole related injury***
- Pothole related claims can see compensation from £4,080 for minor injuries to £379,100 for major injuries**
- Over 40% of non-fatal injuries attribute to a trip, slip or fall*
- Claims through the winter period increase by 27%*
As the UK braces for wintery showers and freezing temperatures throughout our winter season it is important sites monitor there surfaces for cracking and potholes, maintaining a safe, compliant site for staff and visitors. It is vital issues are repaired as quickly as possible preventing further water ingress, resulting in problems and further disruption.
*Stat from fillthehole.org.uk
** Stat from legalexperts.co.uk
*** stat from RAC.co.uk
You may also like
Asset maintenance and replacement services for estate infrastructure, keeping your assets fully maintained, operational, and up to specification, 365 days a year come rain or shine. Our reactive outdoor maintenance services ensure that your compliance and health and safety obligations are always kept up to standard.
From pothole repair and patching to phased area resurfacing and complete car park surfacing projects.
A complete range of award winning winter gritting, snow clearance, winter risk management and specialist de-icing products to keep estates free of snow and ice, ensuring sites remain safe, compliant and operational even through the harshest winter weather.